Thursday, January 16, 2014

Song #39 On My MP3 Player - Box of Rain by the Grateful Dead

'Box of Rain' by the Grateful Dead is song #39 on my MP3 player. This is the opening track to their 1970 album titled American Beauty. Bassist Phil Lesh is the composer and singer for this track, which was composed by Robert Hunter. Hunter has stated that the song was a tribute to Lesh's dying father.

The Grateful Dead were a popular band when I attended high school from 1988 to 1992, but I didn't get into their music until I was in college. My sister had a Grateful Dead phase, and I borrowed her copy of American Beauty. 'Box of Rain' hit me immediately and it is my favorite Grateful Dead song. American Beauty is a fantastic album, which is more country and blues rock than hippie jams. Take a listen and enjoy.



TonyDoug Wright is The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. Check out Champion City Comics, which is his super cool comic book site.

No comments:

Post a Comment