Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Song #37 On My MP3 Player - Blue Moon of Kentucky by Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe's 'Blue Moon of Kentucky' is a bluegrass classic that was written in 1946 and has been covered by many artists including Elvis Presley. The version I'm sharing today is not the original 1940's recording, but an uptempo version that was recorded in the 1950s.

I'm originally from Ohio and I've been told that my dad's side of the family has "Family from Kentucky". The Bluegrass state is a little over an hour drive from my hometown, and I've had some interesting journeys to Kentucky. A friend of mine that lives in Cincinnati was married seven years ago, and booked us a hotel in Covington, Kentucky, which is just a quick drive over the Ohio River. While in Covington, my friend went to a bar with my wife and me. A bluegrass band was playing, and they did an amazing cover of "Blue Moon of Kentucky". Enjoy!


While looking for a Bill Monroe video to include with today's post, I found this cover of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" from a bluegrass band in Japan. These guys do an awesome job!

No comments:

Post a Comment