Thursday, August 29, 2013

Song #29 On My MP3 Player - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zeppelin

'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' is song #29 on my MP3 player and it is the second track on Led Zeppelin's 1969 eponymous debut album. This song is a cover and it was originally recorded by Anne Bredon. Joan Baez covered the song before Zeppelin, which may have inspired the version developed by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Zeppelin did initially not give Bredon credit for 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' and the issue was not discovered by Bredon until the 1980's. Bredon is now credited on the song plus she received royalties.

I'm not a big fan of the Led Zeppelin album, but 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' is one of Zeppelin's finest moments. Zeppelin is a band that I've liked since '86 or '87, but it took me about four or five years to truly appreciate this song. I was taking guitar lessons during the early 90's and my guitar instructor asked if I wanted to learn this song. At first I wasn't thrilled, but it's a fun song to learn for the guitar. You get to do some pretty stuff and then you get to kick out the jams. Enjoy.



TonyDoug Wright is the Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. He's never gonna leave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment