Friday, August 9, 2013

Song #15 On My MP3 Player - A Salty Salute by Guided by Voices



The club is open, boys and girls. 'A Salty Salute' is the fifteenth song on my MP3 player. This song is the opening track on Guided by Voices' 1995 lo-fi rock album Alien Lanes.

Fans of Guided by Voices (GBV) have debated and will debate what's the best opening track on a GBV album. 'A Salty Salute' is a strong contender for the #1 spot because it is a drinking anthem from a hard-drinking band that has a large following of big-time drinkers. It's a marriage made in heaven. It's also catchy as hell and it is hard not to yell "The club is open!" while listening to this song.

'A Salty Salute' is not only a great opening track, but it is something that you have to experience at a GBV show. The band has a neon sign that says THE CLUB IS OPEN and when you hear that bass line at a show, then you know it's rock and roll time. I've experienced 30 to 35 GBV shows from 1995 to 2012, and I don't think I've ever attended a show where they didn't play this song. The crowd goes wild when the bass starts off the song, and the band kicks out the song in amazing fashion.

'A Salty Salute' is on my MP3 player because it's a killer song from my favorite band. This song was played at my wedding as the introduction song for my best man. He's a GBV fan as well and was thrilled to hear the song as his introduction. We all need drinking anthems and I hope you dig 'A Salty Salute'





TonyDoug Wright is the Lost Soul of Rock & Roll. He's going to eat meatloaf for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment