Thursday, August 15, 2013

Song #19 On My MP3 Player - All I Want by Toad The Wet Sprocket

'All I Want' was one of two Billboard top 100 hits from Toad The Wet Sprocket's 1991 album titled Fear. Dismissing Fear as a forgettable two-hit wonder album is a total mistake. Fear is one of my favorite's from the 1990's because it is a great pop record with equally great songwriting. 'All I Want' is the nineteenth song on my MP3 player and it is the song of the day at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll.

The dude with the curly hair and the John Lennon shades titled his head down, looked at me, and said, "Are you the dude with the Toad The Wet Sprocket tape?" I had no idea what he was talking about, plus I had no idea who he was either. It was a nice June day in 1992 and I was at a lake with some of my classmates to celebrate our graduation from high school.

The lake was a small resort of sorts that was owned or managed by the parents of a girl in my class. She invited everyone to the lake for a party and said it would start at 1:00 PM. I went with two friends from school and we showed up at 1:00 PM. When we arrived, the girl was surprised to see us and said something like, "What are you doing here?" It's nice to get that kind of greeting from your host.

A few more people showed up, but the majority of the class showed up three to four hours later.

It was a decent party. I had fun, but the guy that drove us to the lake didn't want to stay much longer because he had somewhere else to be that evening. For some reason, I had to get something out of that guy's car and that's when I encountered the curly haired dude with the John Lennon sunglasses. He was not in our class, and he seemed kinda drunk and sorta high. He was desperately looking for a tape from a band called Toad The Wet Sprocket.

For a split second I thought that I should play along and be the guy with the tape. It was tempting, but I told him no and he seemed disappointed. At the time I thought Toad The Wet Sprocket sounded like some crappy hippie jam band. I was wrong.

A few weeks after the party I saw the video for 'All I Want' by Toad The Wet Sprocket. It was a good song, and I later found out a friend a copy of Fear on tape. They made a copy for me and I immediately fell in love with the album. I went out and got the album on CD and it is still an album I listen to frequently.

'All I Want' is one of the better 90's mainstream alternative rock hits. It's not the only song from Fear on my MP3 player. Oh yes, there is more. I'm not a fan of the video because it looks like someone watched REM's 'Losing My Religion' video and thought, "I'll just copy the shit out of this video for that Toad The Wet Sprocket band." You can't tell me this video has an REM vibe. Come on.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this video and I can not believe it has been 22 years since this album was released.




TonyDoug Wright is The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment