Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Song #18 On My MP3 Player - Ain't That A Lot Of Love by Taj Mahal

The eighteenth song on my MP3 player is a track from The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, which was a 1968 concert that featured acts such as The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, Yoko Ono, The Who, Taj Mahal, and Jethro Tull. Mick Jagger wanted this project to be filmed for the BBC, but Mick wasn't happy with the Stones' performance, so the concert was shelved for decades. The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus was released in 1996 as an album and as a video.

I was subscribed to a Guided by Voices (GBV) mailing list during the 90's and I met many wonderful people via that group. We had some get-togethers before shows and many of those events were memorable. GBV was scheduled to play a show in Newport, Kentucky in '96 or '97, but the show was cancelled. Unfortunately, some people from out of town purchased tickets, hotel rooms, and flights to get to the show. Bob Pollard, the lead singer of GBV, agreed to have a get-together with the out of town fans.

Toledo Tuxedo was one of the out-of-towners and he asked me if I was going to the event. I was living in the Dayton, Ohio area, which was the hometown of GBV, so I was under the impression I would not be invited. I had purchased a ticket for the Kentucky show, but I didn't lose a ton of money. Toledo Tuxedo was able to talk to some people who organized the event and I was invited because I agreed to to have some of the out-of-towners stay at my apartment for free.

The fans were to meet Bob on a Saturday afternoon at a bar in Dayton, so Toledo Tuxedo showed up at my apartment that morning. He got up early that day to drive to my place was ready to rock. Toledo asked for a beer, it was 10:30 AM, and being the young college student I was, I thought 10:30 AM was a legit time for a beer.

After a solid hour of drinking beer and listening to music, Toledo Tuxedo wanted to stop by a record store, so I took him to Trader Vic's. Trader Vic was a friend of Bob's and his store had an impressive collection of GBV material. Some of Vic's employees hated GBV, and I recall one Oasis looking douche bag who worked there tried to explain to me how all of GBV's songs were written in the same musical pattern.

Fortunately, Oasis had the day off and Vic was working. He had The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus playing and it caught my attention. 'A Quick One' by The Who was the song and Vic had it blasting in the store. I was hooked. I had to buy the album, but Toledo Tuxedo wanted to do the same and purchased the last copy Vic had in the store.

I didn't purchase The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus that day, but five years later I finally picked up a copy at a store. Overall it's a good album that has some incredible performances like 'A Quick One, While He's Away' by The Who and 'Ain't That A Lot Of Love' by Taj Mahal. As I type this post I am uncertain why I don't have 'A Quick One, While He's Away' on my MP3 player. I'm going to get it uploaded this week.

'Ain't That A Lot Of Love' is a great blues number by Taj Mahal. It's guaranteed to get you in a good mood. Enjoy!



TonyDoug Wright is the Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. Follow him on Twitter @TonyDougWright

No comments:

Post a Comment