Friday, September 28, 2012

You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC

This is the last post for love/hate week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. My last selection is an interesting pick because the love portion is for me, while the hate portion is for my wife. The song of the day for September 28, 2012 is 'You Shook Me All Night Long' by AC/DC, which is featured on their 1980 album, Back in Black.

I am a fan of AC/DC while my wife hates them with a passion. The song she hates the most from AC/DC is 'You Shook Me All Night Long', and it is in the top three of her all-time most hated songs. Why does she hate this song? She told me that it was the anthem of all the lowlife idiots in the town where she grew up, so I understand her hatred.

While she hates the song, I'll say that I like it, but it's not my favorite AC/DC song. 'You Shook Me All Night Long' is a classic cut from Back in Black, the first album with lead-singer Brian Johnson who replaced Bon Scott. Bon Scott era AC/DC is what I like best, and if you're wondering, my favorite AC/DC song is 'It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock and Roll)'.

The first time I heard 'You Shook Me All Night Long' was in 1986 when Johnny Pleather brought the Who Made Who cassette to the Catholic school we attended. Pleather also carried around his boom box during lunch, so he'd get the Catholic kids a rockin'. Years later, I went out for drinks with a group of people after a wedding, and I ended up having too much to drink. After I awhile, I began to sober up and realized I was in some sort of biker bar. This bad cover band was cranking out 'You Shook Me All Night Long' and at the front of the stage were these super rough looking redneck chicks in tight leather pants. They were losing their minds while singing this song, so I understand why my wife hates this song.


No comments:

Post a Comment