Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Do You Love Me? by Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers

This week, The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll is selecting fantastic covers. The song of the day for September 11, 2012 is Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers cover of 'Do You Love Me?', which was released in 1977 on their album L.A.M.F.

'Do You Love Me?' was written by Berry Gordy, Jr., the founder of Motown, and the song was a major hit in 1962 for The Contours. Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers absolutely take this song to a wonderful New York City '77 punk place, and deliver a memorable cover despite the poor mixing. If think you're punk and you don't know who Johnny Thunders is, then you better retire from the scene because the guy was a legend. Thunders rocked with the New York Dolls and as a solo artist.

I first discovered this song twelve years ago when I found a 45 of 'Do You Love Me' b/w 'One Track Mind' at Flipside Records in Kalamazoo, Michigan. At the time, I didn't have a record player, so the vinyl sat in my closet for about a year. When I started dating the beautiful gal who would become my wife, she informed me that she had an old record player, and I was very happy. One day, I placed the vinyl on the record player and was blown away. I hope you love this cover as well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment