Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back On The Road Again by REO Speedwagon

This week, The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll is selecting deep cuts from my favorite artists. Deep cuts are overlooked gems that sadly do no always see the light of day when it comes to radio play, plus they are usually those songs that do not make it on the greatest hits CDs. The song of the day for September 4, 2012 is 'Back On The Road Again', a 1979 rocker by REO Speedwagon.

'Back On The Road Again' is the only song I like by REO Speedwagon.'Roll With The Changes', 'Keep On Lovin' You', and 'Take It On The Run' are awful, just awful because they are one light rock step away from being Air Supply. 'Roll With The Changes', 'Keep On Lovin' You', and 'Take It On The Run' are so wimpy in sound and lyrics that it makes me angry. 'Back On The Road Again' isn't wimpy, it's hefty-hefty-hefty rock. Did you see what I just did with that previous sentence. You liked it.

REO Speedwagon fans might disagree with me that 'Back On The Road Again' is a deep cut because it is featured on The Hits,but I give this one deep cut status because the average rock fan is not familiar with this song. Trust me on this one, folks. The dreaded threesome of  'Roll With The Changes', 'Keep On Lovin' You', and 'Take It On The Run' get plenty of airplay on classic rock and mix radio, and I can remember maybe one time I heard 'Back On The Road Again' on the radio. Hit play and crank this song. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment