Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman) by Led Zeppelin

This week at the Lost Soul of Rock and Roll, I am selecting some of my favorite one-two punches. In the world of rock music, there are some tunes that are meant to be heard back-to-back and not as separate songs. The song of the day for September 18, 2012 is 'Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)' which is featured on the 1969 album Led Zeppelin II.

From 1988 to 1992 I was a major Led Zeppelin fan. I still love the band, but there was a time when I all I listened to was Led Zeppelin. It might have been 1986 or 1987 when I first heard Zeppelin. This kid that was in my seventh grade class had a shoebox full of cassettes and he said it would be cool if I borrowed some of his music. The shoebox was filled with bands that I had never heard of like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and the Sex Pistols. I borrowed Dark Side of the Moon by Floyd and IV by Zeppelin and both of those albums kick-started my love of classic rock.

It was sad returning those tapes to my friend, but I had been working some odd jobs and had enough cash to buy my own Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd tapes. One of my odd jobs was being the scoreboard operator for basketball and volleyball games played by elementary school students. These were fourth and fifth grade boys and girls starting off their illustrious careers as athletes. I worked the scoreboard of a girls basketball game and the final score was 2 - 0. I kid you not. I earned my money to buy a Led Zeppelin tape that day.

My Zeppelin and Floyd collection grew during my high school years when I had moved up the corporate ladder from scoreboard operator to busboy to dishwasher to waiter. Led Zeppelin II was the third Zeppelin album I purchased and it is top three for me in my all time favorite Zeppelin albums. 'Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)' is an all-out one-two rock punch. Enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment