Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Smashing Pumpkins: Cherub Rock - Song of the Day for February 28, 2013

The Song: 'Cherub Rock'

The Artist: The Smashing Pumpkins

Song Info: 'Cherub Rock' is the first track on The Smashing Pumpkins 1993 album Siamese Dream.

Artist History: The Smashing Pumpkins were formed in Chicago, IL in 1988, and earned mainstream success in 1993 due to the success of the album Siamese Dream.They disbanded in 2000, but over the past decade The Smashing Pumpkins have reunited and been reformed under the direction of lead singer Billy Corgan.

Why I Picked This Song: I was waiting at the bus stop this morning listening to my mp3 player when 'Cherub Rock' started playing. The song took me back to 1993 when I was hanging out at the mall in Springfield, Ohio. Casanova Manilla, a friend from high school, was working at a mall department store as a warehouse clerk, so I decided to stop by and say hello. He had a cool warehouse job that allowed him to listen to music while working. There was a stack of CDs by his stereo and he had a copy of Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins. I knew the band by name only because another friend, Ryan Dellwood, was a major fan of their debut album, Gish.Casanova Manilla said the album was awesome and played 'Cherub Rock' for me. I was very impressed and purchased the album. 'Cherub Rock' is my favorite song from The Smashing Pumpkins, so I hope you enjoy the song of the day.

Download the Song: Click here to get the song from Amazon.com.


TonyDoug Wright is The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll and is also the head writer and owner of Champion City Comics. Follow him @TonyDougWright on Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment