Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My 80's Jams: I Feel For You by Chaka Khan

The jams from the 80's are getting some major love this week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. Today's selection is 'I Feel For You', a 1984 hit for Chaka Khan. Anytime we mention Khan at the Lost Soul then it is mandatory to include this clip.

'I Feel For You' is an absolute jam of funk and hip hop. Did you know this was a cover? This song was originally written and recorded by Prince, and is featured on his 1979 debut album. What happened to the days where you can be shirtless on an album cover? Khan's version was recorded in 1984 and features a sample of Stevie Wonder's 'Fingertips' and the rapping is courtesy of Melle Mel from Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five.

Chaka Khan is no one hit wonder. Born Yvette Stevens, she changed her name to Chaka in the late 60's while a member of the Black Panther Party. She married musician Hassan Khan in 1970 and entered the music industry. Khan's career took off and during the 70's and her hits include 1974's 'Tell Me Something Good' with Rufus and 1978's 'I'm Every Woman' as a solo artist. The video for 'I Feel For You' is below and enjoy the jam.


I learned today that Chaka Khan was not the first to cover this song. The Pointer Sisters covered it in 1982, and I've included a the song below.



TonyDoug Wright is The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll and is also the head writer and owner of Champion City Comics. Follow him @TonyDougWright on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment