Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Super 70's: I'd Really Love To See You Tonight by England Dan and John Ford Coley

Happy Valentine's Day. The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll has a special treat for you today because I'm giving you some England Dan and John Ford Coley. They had a hit in 1976 with 'I'd Really Love To See You Tonight', which is quite possibly the most polite booty call song in the history of rock and roll.

Take a listen to the song and then join me for some deep thoughts:



Are you with me on that being the most polite booty call song? England Dan and John Ford Coley are struggling to get a lady to stop by for the evening. If you break down the lyrics you have something that goes like this, "Excuse me, I'm having strong feelings for you and I would be most pleased if you joined me for an evening of coitus. It's completely up to you, my dear. I apologize for being very forward." My friend described this as "Booty calling a 1970's feminist". Don't get all uptight with me because the 70's was by no means a conservative decade. Studio 54 anyone?

The 70's had plenty of sexy jams, and they were more direct than 'I'd Love To See You Tonight'. For example, the master himself, Marvin Gaye, sent millions of women into a sexual frenzy with his 1973 hit 'Let's Get It On'. When this song played on the radio, some women underwent a miraculous moment where they instantly became pregnant. Marvin had magic powers.I'm going to test my Marvin theory out and embed his hit below. WARNING: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY IMMACULATE CONCEPTIONS.


Happy Valentine's Day and stay sexy.

TonyDoug Wright is The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll and is also the head writer and owner of Champion City Comics. Follow him @TonyDougWright on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment