Thursday, August 2, 2012

Turn it to Eleven Thursday: Summertime Blues by Blue Cheer

Turn it to Eleven Thursday is a column at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll where every Thursday I select a gem from the world of hard rock and heavy metal for your listening enjoyment.

This week I have selected Blue Cheer's cover of Eddie Cochran's 'Summertime Blues'. August has arrived and when I was a kid enjoying my summer break, I always caught the summertime blues when August arrived. I knew school was weeks away and my days of sleeping in and playing video games were about to end. As an adult, I still feel a little blue in August and I have come to believe it is some sort of sympathy for the younger generation who must return to school. Let's rock out to some Blue Cheer to beat the blues. 

Blue Cheer, a San Francisco power trio named after a certain brand of LSD, helped pave the way for hard rock and heavy metal with 1968's Vincebus Eruptum.  For those of you that know your rock and roll history, 1968 was a landmark year for hard rock and heavy metal because Blue Cheer's 'Summertime Blues', Steppenwolf's 'Born to be Wild', and Iron Butterfly's 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' were released, plus it should be noted that 'Summertime Blues' was the first of the three songs to chart. I hope you enjoy the performance below and be sure to check out drummer Paul Whaley who might be mistaken for Cousin It from the Addams Family.


No comments:

Post a Comment