Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I've Been Loving You Too Long by Otis Redding

Last night, my wife asked me to name a song that was "sexy" and I mentioned 'These Arms Of Mine' by Otis Redding. She found the song online and played a clip, but then she played 'I've Been Loving You Too Long'. Both of those songs are definitely sexy and I decided to share Otis Redding's performance of 'I've Been Loving You Too Long' at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival.

Otis Redding has been a personal favorite of mine for many years and his songs can be incredibly sexy or incredibly sad. For every 'Try A Little Tenderness' there is a 'I've Got Dreams To Remember'. His catalog is solid and don't forget that this was the man that wrote 'Respect', which became a major hit for Aretha Franklin. Sadly, Redding was 26 years old when he died in a plane crash, but his musical legacy will never be forgotten.

One of the biggest highlights of Redding's career was his performance at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival. This is the event where the world discovered Janis Joplin, where The Who smashed their equipment for an American audience, and where Jimi Hendrix set his guitar on fire. Backed by Booker T. and The M.G.'s, Redding made a splash on a predominately white audience, which made him a bigger star. He died six months later and the video below shows a one-of-a-kind artist that left us too soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment