Monday, January 21, 2013

My Heavy Rotation For January 2013: Virginia Plain by Roxy Music

This week I am sharing my heavy rotation selections for the month of January. I know there is one more week left in the month, but I doubt that there will be any other songs popping up on my musical radar that will get more listens that the songs I'm selecting this week. My first selection is 'Virginia Plain' by Roxy Music.

Released in 1972, 'Virginia Plain' was an instant U.K. hit for Roxy Music. This band might not be on your rock and roll radar because they are glam rockers and art rockers, but give Roxy Music a chance. I don't consider myself a big fan of Roxy Music because I started to appreciate their music over the past couple of years.

I first discovered Roxy Music during the early 1990s when I was subscribed to Musician magazine. They had an article about their album Country Life, and the cover really caught my teenage eyes. With a cover like that, they had to be awesome. It wasn't long after that moment when I saw a Roxy Music video clip on TV and they sounded really arty and pretentious. I dismissed them for years.

Over the past five years, I have given them a chance, and I really like Roxy Music. Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno had a great band that tapped into a sound that is very cool and totally sexy, so I hope you enjoy the glam rock that is 'Virginia Plain'.





TonyDoug Wright is The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll and is also the head writer and owner of Champion City Comics. Follow him @TonyDougWright on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, listening to Roxy Music, The Eno Years. On Anti Gravity Records. Cool purple vinyl.

    ReplyDelete