Friday, January 18, 2013

Artists I Get: Slade

Slade - Last.fm

 Today's post will be directed at my rock and roll brothers and sisters over here in the US of A. The good kids of the UK get Slade, so what's with the disrespect here in America? I get Slade and so should you.

Slade was a very successful UK rock band that had an up and down 25 year career. Led by Noddy Holder, Slade dominated the UK charts during the 1970s, and they were known for their flashy style along with their intentionally misspelled song titles. Believe it or not, you actually know their songs. Quiet Riot scored two hits by covering Slade's material. 'Cum On Feel The Noize' and 'Mama Weer All Crazee Now' were Slade originals. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

If you like your rock and roll packed with some fun then look no further than Slade. These guys always rock, and people need a gateway into a catalog, so I'll give you their version of 'Cum On Feel The Noise', which is slower but more raw than Quiet Riot's cover. Give it a listen.


Maybe you're stuck in Quiet Riot mode and did not appreciate the original. That's cool. Some bands take time. Another personal favorite is 'Gudbuy T'Jane'. Damn, this song is really good, so crank it when you hit play.


You better be sold on Slade at this point because their music blows AOR 70's classic rock out of the water. I'm looking at you, Kansas. You got a problem, Styx? Come at me, Boston. You know you like your rock and roll with some attitude, and 'Mama Weer All Crazee Now' just comes out of the gate to kick some serious booty.


There is a sensitive side to Slade. Oh yes. For those of you that need something light and sweet then take a listen to 'How Does It Feel', which is an awesome pop tune.


If you don't get Slade after hearing those songs then you can get out of my rock room. I totally get Slade.


TonyDoug Wright is The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll and is also the head writer and owner of Champion City Comics. Follow him @TonyDougWright on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. I would argue that later period Slade made a bit of inroads in the early 1980s -- "My Oh My" and "Run Runaway" were on the radio quite a bit. "Run Runaway" continues to be *the* best video featuring caber tossing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHoPYLQvnQM

    Keep your hands off my power supply indeed!

    ReplyDelete