Monday, January 28, 2013

90's Flashback: Seeds by Fig Dish

Fig Dish -Last.fm

 This week I have decided to share some songs that I really enjoyed during the 1990s. There are times when I think about songs I used to really dig back in the day, so I've decided to share them with the good kids at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. My first 90's pick is 'Seeds' by Fig Dish.

Chicago was on fire with rock and roll during the 1980s and 1990s. Ministry, The Smashing Pumpkins, Liz Phair, and Urge Overkill are just a few that rocked The Windy City. Fig Dish was also a Chicago band and they had an impressive debut in 1995 with That's What Love Songs Often Do.They released When Shove Goes Back To Push in 1997 and then disbanded a year later.

'Seeds' is a good example of 90's alt-rock done right. There were many bands back then walking the alt-rock fine line and you either ended up on the stupid side or the clever side. I first heard this song in 1995 when a friend added 'Seeds' to a mix tape. My friend used to pick up copies of CMJ, a music magazine that came with a CD featuring selected songs from established and up-and-coming bands. He thought I'd like 'Seeds' and he was right, but I still think it's a killer rock song blending all of the fine ingredients of grunge and pop.

I usually post videos from YouTube for my selections, but the YouTube video for 'Seeds' experiences fourteen seconds of silence and that is unacceptable at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. So click here to check out 'Seeds'.



TonyDoug Wright is The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll and is also the head writer and owner of Champion City Comics. Follow him @TonyDougWright on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Great song to feature! They just, apparently, rereleased this album but I can't seem to find a link to actually show my support.

    http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/C-Notes/January-2013/The-Rise-Fall-and-Re-Release-of-Fig-Dish/index.php#commentform

    ReplyDelete