Monday, October 22, 2012

Science Fiction Double Feature from The Rocky Horror Picture Show

This is Rocky Horror Picture Show Week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. The Rocky Horror Picture Show was released 37 years ago and remains a cult classic and a midnight movie favorite. The song of the day for October 22, 2012 is 'Science Fiction/Double Feature'.

If we are going to have Rocky Horror Week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll, then we need to start it off right with the opening song, 'Science Fiction/Double Feature' by Richard O'Brien. It was O'Brien who wrote the musical and screenplay of The Rocky Horror Show and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.O'Brien is still in show business and he provides the voice of 'Dad' on Phineas and Ferb.

I used to work at a record store and one of the perks of working there was a 20% discount on purchases. One Saturday afternoon, I was debating what to buy, and decided to get a copy of The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack. I went over to view the CDs in the soundtrack section, and had no luck. There was a copy on cassette and decided I'd wait until the end of my shift to make my purchase.

I was walking around the store asking people if they needed help when Albert walked in the store. Albert was a kid that I knew from school and he was one weird dude. He was one of those kids that you'd ask a general question like, "Hey, what's up?" and he'd reply with some bizarre statement.Albert walked straight over to the soundtrack section in the cassette aisle and picked up the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack I wanted to purchase. I was prepared to wrestle the tape from the clutches of that little son-of-a-bitch when he put it down and picked up another tape. What were the odds that someone else in my silly Midwestern home town wanted a copy of the Rocky Horror Picture Show? Fortunately, the tape was still there at the end of my shift and I went home one happy Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. Enjoy the song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment