Friday, October 19, 2012

New Year by Living Things

This is the end of Rock the Rocktober Week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. The song of the day for Friday, October 19, 2012 is 'New Year' by Living Things. This song was released in 2005 and is featured on the album, Ahead of the Lions.

In my opinion, it is a shame that Ahead of the Lions was not a bigger album. I couldn't locate any information showing the total sales for this album, but I do recall some cuts from this album being featured on some major commercials, so hopefully the guys did well.

I was writing music and comic book reviews for a website called Erasing Clouds when this album was assigned to me by the editor. The album was still in the plastic wrap and there was a sticker on the frot featuring the following review by Robert Christgau: "Lillian Berlin is Johnny Rotten with politics. His art would be nothing without his rage; he is possessed by the need to get his point across that he grabs his brothers' music by the throat and makes it bellow his tune". That review pissed me off, and I put my copy of Ahead of the Lions down for a few days.

After my saltiness ended, I gave the album a spin. I was very impressed with the straight-ahead rock and roll attack of Living Things. Ahead of the Lions has five great songs, but has seven throw-away tracks. I wouldn't compare the lead singer to Johnny Rotten, but I do like his style. One of my favorite tracks on the album is 'New Year' and it is one smooth rocker. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment