Monday, October 8, 2012

Nobody Told Me by John Lennon

This is John Lennon Week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. October 9th would have been John's 72nd birthday, so I thought it would be appropriate to celebrate John's work this Rocktober. The song of the day for October 8, 2012 is 'Nobody Told Me' by John Lennon. This song was posthumously released in 1984 on the Milk and Honey album.

I vaguely remember the morning of December 9, 1980, but I do recall my mom telling me that a Beatle had been shot while I was brushing my teeth. I was seven and thought someone killed a bug. I had no idea she was talking about John Lennon. At that point in my life, the only music I knew was Kiss, ELO, and The Village People. Like I said, I was seven.

My mom had some of the early albums by The Beatles and I started listening to them when I was fourteen or fifteen. I wasn't totally hooked on The Beatles until I was eighteen or nineteen. I made an effort to check out their solo material as well and recall viewing the video 'Nobody Told Me' on MTV or VH1 one day. It was one of those songs that I had forgotten about because I remembered when it was a 1984 hit. 'Nobody Told Me' is one of my favorite Lennon solo songs, and I believe we can all relate to the line, "Nobody told me there'd be days like these". Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment