Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Vincent Come on Down by Brainiac

This is Ohio Week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll, so I am selecting some great tracks from the Buckeye State. I don't think you can tell me the things that I want you to. The song of the day for November 20, 2012 is 'Vincent Come on Down' by Brainiac. This song was released in 1996 and is featured on the album Hissing Prigs in Static Couture.

There was something happening in Dayton, Ohio during the early to mid nineties. I wasn't part of the local music scene, but I was living in the area at the time. There were some people who felt that something was about to happen where Dayton would be the next great rock city. It didn't turn into Seattle or Minneapolis or Boston. Whatever happened can be best answered by those who experienced it firsthand.

The Dayton Voice was a great local newspaper that gave local bands plenty of great press. That's how I discovered acts like O-Matic, Cage, Swearing at Motorists, Real Lulu, and Brainiac. There was even a local cable access show called Alternative Edge that played videos from local bands. I remember being in awe when they played the 'Weed King' video for Guided by Voices, and I recall when they started playing 'Vincent Come on Down' by Brainiac.

I never had the chance to see Brainiac live. Timmy Taylor, the lead singer of the band, was killed in an automobile accident in 1997 when Brainiac was in the process of working on their major label debut. The best way I can describe the sound of Brainiac is to imagine someone electrocuting punk rock. Enjoy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment