Monday, November 26, 2012

The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys by Traffic

This is The Extra Long Week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. You may have enjoyed an extended period of time off from school or work last week for the Thanksgiving holiday, but now we are all back to work for an extra long week. This week, I will play some really cool songs that are extra long in their length. Get your mind out of the gutter, you perverts! The percentage that you're paying is too high priced while you're living beyond all your means. The song of the day for November 26, 2012 is 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys' by Traffic. This song was released in 1971 and is featured on the album The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.

It's easy to lump Steve Winwood into the yuppie fueled rock of the 1980s due to his hits 'Valerie' and 'Back in the High Life Again'. Winwood has had an impressive career, and the 80s hits sometimes overshadows his wonderful 60s and 70s accomplishments with The Spencer Davis Group, Blind Faith, and Traffic. 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys' was my first choice for The Extra Long Week.

I discovered Traffic back in the late 80s or early 90s while reading some rock and roll publication. I don't recall what the article was about, but I do remember the writer stated something about the brilliance of an album titled The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. It was not long after reading that article that I found myself at a garage sale. The family that was having the sale had a large stack of vinyl for sale. I found some great albums that day like 4 Way Street by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young and Decade by Neil Young. While searching for some more vinyl, I discovered The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. I had never heard a song by Traffic at that time, but decided to purchase the album. It didn't capture my attention the first time I played the album because I was not in the mood for jazzy progressive rock.

I've always found the cover to this album to be pretty cool. And on an interesting note, the artist that designed this cover was named Tony Wright. Now that's a good name.

 

Over the years, I have come to appreciate the Traffic catalog, and I hope you enjoy today's selection.


No comments:

Post a Comment