Wednesday, July 18, 2012

25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago

Once a year, I teach a class on the history of rock and roll at a community college. Every week, my students are assigned ten rock and roll songs to review. I've tried to expand and improve their knowledge and appreciation of rock and roll by assigning artists like Guided by Voices, The Replacements, Uncle Tupelo, The Velvet Underground, and Wire. The opinions on the aforementioned artists were pretty much in the "these guys suck" category and it took every inch of restraint in my body not to fail those students for blasphemy.

Every week, there seems to be a song that the entire class loves. '25 or 6 to 4', a 1970 hit for Chicago, was a major hit with my students. I've always liked this song, and I'm more of a jazz-rock Chicago fan than a soft-rock Chicago fan. You can't deny that this is a jam. If you hate this song then you hate Jesus Christ and America. Just kidding. No, I take that back. Just hit play and turn up the volume.


No comments:

Post a Comment