Monday, June 4, 2012

If We Wait by Guided By Voices

Oh, now I've bored you crying my life away

"We need one more mic", announces an inebriated Robert Pollard at the opening of the classic Guided by Voices (GBV) live album, Crying Your Knife Away, which was distributed by Simple Solution Records. Recorded at Stache's in Columbus, Ohio for Bela Koe-Krompecher's birthday in 1994, Crying Your Knife Away is for the die-hard GBV fan that has experienced the alcohol fueled epic performances of the good kids from Dayton, Ohio. To the non-believers or to a GBV newbie, this album may sound like a hot mess, but believe me, folks, it is a masterpiece. 

I purchased my copy of Crying Your Knife Away from Trader Vic, the man behind Simple Solution Records, at his store Dayton, Ohio. Captain Chemtrail, Ryan Dellwood, and I decided to stop by Trader Vic's during the summer of 1995 to check out his GBV selection. If I remember correctly, it was the smaller store he had on Brown Street before he moved to the storefront on the corner. Let me get back on track before I get lost on this trip down memory lane. Trader Vic's was really cool because he had every GBV release placed on a wall as a shrine to the lo-fi rockers. At the time he had the then ultra rare Forever Since Breakfast on vinyl for sale for $80, which was too rich for my blood at the time. Also, he had a copy of Propeller on vinyl and I am kicking myself to this day for not asking if the album was for sale. Anyway, I purchased a copy of Crying Your Knife Away and promised to make copies on tape for Captain Chemtrail and Ryan Dellwood.

In case you are wondering, I had seen the band live before hearing this record. I've listened to Crying Your Knife Away countless times and it never lets me down. One of my favorite tracks on the album is Bob Pollard and Bela singing 'If We Wait', a sloppy drunk rendition, but still very good.

The mid to late 90s was the time of my tape trading empire. I was subbed to Postal Blowfish, a GBV fan mailing list, and received many tapes in the mail from fans that had copies of various 7" records, EPs, LPs, bootlegs, and rarities. One kind soul added the studio version of 'If We Wait' from the 1993 GBV/Jenny Mae Leffel split to a mix tape and I was blown away. 'If We Wait' from Crying Your Knife Away was fun, but this song kicked me in the teeth when I heard it for the first time. It is still one of their best and it is embedded below, so enjoy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment