Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Formed a Band by Art Brut

We're going to be that band that writes the song
That makes Israel and Palestine get along

Bang Bang Rock & Roll by Art Brut is in my opinion one of the best albums of the past decade. I love how this UK band put together a snotty, fun and clever album with some memorable tunes like 'Emily Kane' and 'My Little Brother'. Art Brut is in the Franz Ferdinand and The Killers realm of music, but they do have a better connection to the punk and post-punk movement. For example, 'Formed a Band' is a Gang of Four inspired anthem announcing the arrival of Art Brut.

'Formed a Band' is one of the few songs I've heard during the past ten to twelve years that has attitude, which is something missing from the world of rock and roll, especially indie rock. The indie rock scene had some attitude going for awhile during the 1980s and 1990s, but something changed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but angst was replaced by hipsters with mustaches and incredibly dull guy and girl singing duos from Brooklyn. Only a few have decided to keep the angst alive. Good work, Art Brut.  


No comments:

Post a Comment