Saturday, May 26, 2012

Your Love by The Outfield

As you leave me please would you close the door
And don't forget what I told you
Just 'cause you're right don't mean I'm wrong
Another shoulder to cry upon

The Outfield's 'Your Love' is a personal favorite. This power pop hit is from The Outfield's debut album, 'Play Deep', which was released in 1986 and still sounds solid today. The song itself is about the non noble act of a man cheating on his girlfriend while she's out of town. The kids in the 1990s referred to this as a "booty call".

I remember liking this song when it was released, but somehow it was erased from my musical database within a year. Fast-forward six years to a dorm room party that I was attending while visiting my friend, Metrosexual Manila. We were underage college students and could only score wine coolers, but Metrosexual Manila had a roommate named Lazy Dave and he had this mixtape cranked on the stereo. 'Your Love' came on and something clicked in my brain. The song I loved at one time had returned. I forgot the name of the band and even the song title. Lazy Dave told me it was 'Your Love' by The Outfield and even made a copy of the song for me. Thanks Lazy Dave. Thanks wine coolers.


No comments:

Post a Comment