Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Alcoholiday by Teenage Fanclub

 There are things that I want to do
But I don't know if they will be with you

The first album I purchased where I had never heard a single song from the artist was Bandwagonesque by Teenage Fanclub. This alternative rock masterpiece was released in 1991 and Spin awarded it the 'Album of the Year' award over Nirvana's Nevermind.

It was May 1992 and my senior year of high school was coming to and end. I ran the bullshit gauntlet for four years and the end was oh-so-near. Perhaps the worst class of my senior year was economics, which was taught by Mr. Horrible, a despicable excuse for a teacher. For some reason, I was stuck with that bastard for four years and I suffered through his Spanish, Western civilization, government, and economics classes.

Economics was awful because Mr. Horrible oversaw our senior class business project. What was our major project? We decided to have something called morp, which was bizarro prom. Somehow we made a profit from the dance and even had money left over after all expenses were covered. Each student in the class was to be given a check for twelve dollars and I was thrilled. When handed the check by Mr. Horrible, I decided to buy a CD.   

I cashed the check, went to the CD store at the mall, and browsed. As I made my way past the Alternative section, I saw Bandwagonesque by Teenage Fanclub. Now I had never heard a song from these guys, but a few credible music loving students at my high school kept raving about this album in my anatomy class. I even read a really good review in a music magazine and decided to roll the dice. The album lived up to the hype.

Bandwagonesque is noisy and has some great Bryds and Beatles inspired moments. My favorite track is 'Alcoholiday', a song about a relationship gone bad or in the process of going bad. I'm happily married, folks, but when I first heard this song I had been dumped. The girl responsible for it was a real piece of work. I would not be surprised if she was the evil spawn of Mr. Horrible.

For those of you looking to add a melancholy masterpiece to your mp3 player then take a listen to 'Alcoholiday'.




Purchase 'Alcoholiday' from Amazon. Click here to get this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment