Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Overlooked: Life on Mars? by David Bowie

Take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Mars?

I've been a David Bowie fan for a long time, but last year I was hit with the greatness that is 'Life on Mars?'. The fourth track from the 1971 album, Hunky Dory, was something I considered a fast-forward track. For the life of me, I can not explain why I never gave this song a chance until I watched the BBC show Life on Mars. After viewing the first episode, I was hooked on the Bowie classic.  

I'm by no means a David Bowie expert, but I'm a greatest hits type of fan. There are a few 'deep cuts' that I know, but don't ask me to write any liner notes for any future re-issues of David Bowie re-issues. Thanks.

'Life on Mars?' is a beautiful song. It is hard to put into words how great Bowie's songwriting is and how wonderful the piano and strings come together to create one of the best rock songs ever. This track has become my favorite Bowie song and has been on heavy rotation on my MP3 player.

Also, I feel this song has something of an overlooked quality when it comes to radio airplay on classic rock stations. We can argue that radio is irrelevant in this day and age, but if we are going to keep rock and roll alive then I believe radio should play a role, especially for the newbies. Yes, 'Suffragette City' and 'Rebel Rebel' are jams, but if classic rock radio is willing to play every god damn song from Boston's first album, then they can mix it up for Bowie.

I've posted the video for 'Life On Mars?' and Bowie does not disappoint in Ziggy Stardust mode wearing full glam makeup and sporting a turquoise suit. Enjoy. 







Purchase Life on Mars? at Amazon. Click here to get the MP3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment