Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Song #22 On My MP3 Player - Anarchy In The U.K. by the Sex Pistols

The twenty-second song on my MP3 player is a punk rock anthem. 'Anarchy in the U.K.' was released as a debut single in 1976 and was also featured on their 1977 album Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols.

Danger is a key ingredient for rock and roll. Sadly, some artists have forgotten that rock and roll needs to do its duty from time to time and flip authority the middle finger. When the industry becomes complacent then someone emerges to raise some hell. Do we have any hell raisers in rock and roll today? I know there are people who view themselves as edgy, but I really can not think of anyone who is holding that torch.

People either love or hate 'Anarchy in the U.K.'. I love the song because it's the kind of danger that's needed in the world of rock and roll. When I was a teenager I worked at a restaurant and I recall a lady complaining about rock music and she went off on the Sex Pistols. She said they were "disgusting" and "garbage".  That lady was always bitching about something.

I liked the Sex Pistols at the time - and I still do- because they are one of a few bands that were truly dangerous. Some bands put on a costume or makeup and pretend to be dangerous. Some bands label themselves as a dangerous band but are nothing more than paper tigers. The Sex Pistols were dangerous in my opinion because they put a mirror in front of the face of the people and forced them to look hard at what was going on at the time. People hate it when they have to look in the mirror and see all the ugliness.

'Anarchy in the U.K.' is on my MP3 player. It's not "disgusting" and it's not "garbage". Enjoy.



TonyDoug Wright is the Lost Soul of Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment