Friday, December 14, 2012

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kristy MacColl

Christmas Rocks at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. You're a bum. You're a punk. The song of the day for December 14, 2012 is 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kristy MacColl. This song was released in 1987 as a single and is also featured on the 1988 album If I Should Fall From Grace With God.

The first time I heard The Pogues was when they made their infamous 1990 appearance on Saturday Night Live. The second song they played that night, 'Body of an American' is online somewhere, but for the life of me I can not find their first performance featuring a highly intoxicated Shane McGowan. That was a hot mess and it was not a good first exposure. Years later, I would appreciate The Pogues and this holiday season I must post their 'Fairytale of New York' with the late Kristy MacColl. There is nothing like a dysfunctional tale of alcoholism on Christmas Eve. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment