Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Starship Trooper by Yes

We are at the halfway point for The Extra Long Week at The Lost Soul of Rock and Roll. I hope you enjoyed the short week last week due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Maybe this week is going by slowly and it feels as if this week will never end. I'm here to give you some extra long rock jams to survive. Sister bluebird is flying high above the Lost Soul of Rock and Roll this morning. The song of the day for November 28, 2012 is 'Starship Trooper' by Yes. This song is featured on the 1971 album, The Yes Album.

'Starship Trooper' only hits the nine minute mark and this selection might be debated by some readers for being too short for the Extra Long Week. I wanted a Yes song for today and was more interested in selecting something from The Yes Album or Fragile than something from Tales From Topographic Oceans. I've tried to like Tales From Topographic Oceans, but there is something about that album that bores me to tears.

I like 80s corporate rock Yes and I really dig the 70s progressive rock Yes. It's easy to dislike progressive rock because it is so pompous that it makes indie rock look humble. Even the shortened version of progressive rock, "prog rock", sounds obnoxious. I'm of the opinion that Yes is the most digestible progressive rock band for beginners. They are not too arty nor do they have the sound of a god-awful Renaissance fair act. Enjoy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment